Thursday, July 25, 2013

blueberry doughnuts with vanilla glaze

Last week something remarkable happened.

 

I finally splurged and bought the doughnut pan I've been eyeing for months.
Can you even call something that costs $8.99 on Amazon a splurge?

With the unhealthy amount of joy this little guy has brought with his arrival, my vote is yes.

Seriously, I'm a doughnut machine over here.
I can't stop.

So far I've made a chocolate sprinkled vanilla cinnamon batch and some of the blueberry variety.
Today I'll be sharing the latter.

Let me just say, kudos to Kroger and their 2-for-$4 deal on blueberries this week.
They basically screamed BAKE WITH US! as I walked by.
Clearly I had to oblige.

doughnut recipe adapted via

Things you'll need:

For doughnut:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour {I used enriched non-bleached}
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp light butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk {I used original, but vanilla would be great too!}
1-2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 pint fresh blueberries

For glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, combine sugar and butter with a hand mixer.  My butter wasn't softened {it came straight from the fridge} and looked like soft little pebbles when mixed with the sugar.
Stir the egg, almond milk, and vanilla into the wet mixture
Add the flour/dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and stir until just combined.
Gently fold in as many blueberries as you'd like.
I used almost a pint.
Carefully spoon into a lightly greased doughnut pan, and cook for 12-14 minutes, until they gently spring back when touched.

Whisk together powdered sugar, water, and vanilla extract.
Drizzle as much as desired over your doughnuts.
I gave them all two coats.
#sugardiet

This recipe made nine doughnuts.
Nine, absolutely delicious doughnuts.
I undercooked mine a bit so they'd be really moist.
I recommend doing this.
And because there are fresh blueberries nestled inside...well, they're basically a health food.
You heard it here first, folks.

Blueberry doughnuts for everyone!

What are you up to this weekend?
My dear friend, Kayla, and her boyfriend, Mark, are coming to visit, and we are taking them to Cheeky to celebrate Mark's 29th birthday!
Tap tables for the win.

Oh yeah...and I'll be making breakfast Sunday morning.
I see a baked version of these in our near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment