Friday, March 14, 2014

5-ingredient chocolate pie with vanilla whipped cream

It seemed appropriate to share this recipe with you today, what with it being Pi Day and all!

Last weekend, I got in one of those moods where I just had to make a pie.
Particularly pie crust.
I really love making pie crust.
It's so easy to make, and it just tastes so good.
Happiness resides in freshly made pie crust.

So on Sunday, I had big plans to make a pie.
Until we ate so many stuffed peppers that I couldn't bring myself to move from the couch.
Attractive, I know.
It ended up working out better though, because I made it on Tuesday and got to share it with my coworkers the next day!
The last thing we need around our place is a whole pie for just the two of us.

Personally, I'm more of a fruit pie kind of gal.
Apple, peach, blueberry...you name it, I love it.
But Joe has this idea that it's not really dessert unless it's made of chocolate.
{Okay, he has never said that...but considering how much chocolate I've seen him eat over the years, there has to be a little bit of truth to that.}
So chocolate pie it was!

recipe via
For pie:

1 refrigerated pie crust {or make your own! I always use Carla Hall's recipe}
3 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
2 eggs
1/2 stick melted butter
1 can evaporated milk
*optional: a pinch of cayenne pepper for a bit of heat!

For whipped cream:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp granulated white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
If you made your own dough, roll it out and place in a pie dish.
I haven't quite figured out how to correctly pinch the edges yet, but practice makes perfect, right?
Using a fork, poke holes in the crust.

In a bowl, mix together cocoa powder and sugar.
Whisk in eggs, melted butter, and evaporated milk.
Carefully pour mixture into the crust.
Don't worry if there's lumps - as you can see, mine was a bit lumpy, but it still turned out great!

Bake for 50 minutes.
When it comes out, the batter will look like it's risen a little.
As it cools, it will fall a bit and set more.

I'd suggest letting it cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting into it.
You don't have to let it cool all the way though!
We ate it warm, and it was dreamy.

For the whipped cream, put cream and vanilla in a mixing bowl and whip {with the whip attachment} on speed 8.
Slowly add sugar, and whip until thickened.

It's ready when peaks have formed!
It takes about 30 seconds or so, I'd say.

Serve up the pie with an obnoxiously large dollop of vanilla whipped cream, and enjoy!

If you need an easy dessert for a party or holiday dinner {or for just a random Tuesday, if you're like us}, I'd absolutely suggest this.
It was a real crowd-pleaser!
Joe ate two slices in one sitting, so I deem that a success.
Plus, it only has five ingredients!
It doesn't get any easier than that.

The whipped cream is obviously optional, but let me just say, it was divine.
This was my first time making whipped cream in the Kitchenaid, and I can't wait to do it again!
It was so easy, and the possibilities are just endless.
I can't wait to sub the vanilla for peppermint extract to make a peppermint version!
Don't you think that would be an amazing way to top a big glass of hot chocolate?

Oh, the possibilities.

Do you have any fun plans for the weekend?
Or St. Patrick's Day?

Joe and I are attending a birthday party tomorrow afternoon {happy 1st birthday, Stella!}, and I'm going shopping for a new pair of jeans.
Big weekend, clearly.
There's talk about throwing a trip to Mexican in tomorrow night, so I'm not complaining!

Regardless of your plans, I hope you start your weekend off right - enjoying some chocolate pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment