Monday, March 24, 2014

blueberry muffins with a cinnamon crumb topping

Am I the only one that watches Charlie and the Chocolate Factory every time it's on television?
I have so many shows on my DVR right now it's sickening, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory just started and I can't seem to turn it off.
Maybe it's how delicious they make the chocolate look?
I mean who doesn't want to swim in a chocolate river?
No girlfriend of mine would turn that down...and if you would, I'm not sure I trust you.
#getmeinthatriver

That literally has nothing to do with these muffins...except that they are also quite delicious.
And that I halved the batter to make a chocolate chip version too.
Because, duh.

Joe is traveling again this week {third week out of four...it's safe to say I'm over it}, so Sunday morning I decided to make us breakfast while we got in our last cuddles for the week.
I did a test run of these muffins about a week ago since I had never made muffins from scratch before, and I can tell you now - I'll never go back to the boxed stuff.
These things are just as moist, filled with fresh blueberries, and are topped with a crispy cinnamon crumb topping that's to die for.
I could eat the blueberry version every day if I had the choice {or anything blueberry really, if I'm being honest...I'm going through a serious blueberry kick these days}, but if you've been following this little blog of mine at all, you know Joe loves his chocolate.
Morning, noon, or night, I'd venture to say that's one of his favorite foods.

So, naturally, he requested chocolate chip muffins.
Thankfully, because I made them from scratch, it's really simple to just split the batter in half and do two different versions at once!

But if you're a fruit gal like me, I totally recommend the blueberry version.
So good.


recipe adapted via
Things you'll need:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 to 1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup frozen {or fresh} blueberries

For crumb topping:

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/6 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp butter, cubed
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Lightly spray muffin pan with cooking spray.  I use the large muffin tin {the one that makes 6 jumbo muffins} because I'd rather have one large breakfast muffin than two smalls ones.
Totally up to you though - any pan will work fine!
Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a bowl, and whisk together to remove lumps.
In a separate bowl, mix together vegetable oil, egg, and 1/3 cup of milk.
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
I always end up having to add a splash or two more of milk because the batter is too thick...so I probably end up adding closer to 1/2 cup total.
You don't want your batter to be runny, but you don't want it to be too thick either.
The photo above is the right consistency.


If you're doing the all-blueberry version, now would be the time to gently fold in a cup of blueberries.
I use frozen wild blueberries, but fresh would work too!
If you're making a half-and-half version, fold 1/2 cup of blueberries into one half of batter and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips into the other half of the batter.
{Feel free to mix up the fruit you use too!  I think chopped strawberries would be divine.}

For the crumb topping, mix sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon in a small bowl, using a fork to smash up the cubed butter.

Fill the muffin cups 2/3 of the way full, and top generously with crumb topping.
It's going to feel powdery, but don't worry!
The butter will melt in the oven and work some serious magic.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out relatively clean.

Let them sit for about five minutes, and then serve while still warm!

These muffins are light and fluffy, and I'd definitely venture to say that the crumb topping is what makes them.
It kind of makes them taste like you bought them at a coffee shop or a bakery.
They're just a bit fancier than your everyday muffin {making them the perfect special weekend breakfast, if you ask me}!

Go ahead and plan on trying these out ASAP.
You'll thank me, I promise!

Did you do anything exciting over the weekend?

Besides our Sunday muffins, Kayla came over for a slumber party, Joe and I watched Frozen twice {totally obsessed}, and we got our engagement photos done in Athens!
It seemed only appropriate to do them on campus at UGA, since that's where we met.
I haven't gotten them all back yet, but I'll leave you with the sneak peek our photographer sent me.


Happy Monday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment