Monday, May 6, 2013

my favorite easy breakfast + our new home!

Welp, the big move is over.

Hallelujah!

It was a long weekend of packing, unpacking, and dealing with the horrible weather, but we made it.
And I think I'm speaking for both of us when I say it's a relief.

The old apartment was feeling super cramped lately and, quite frankly, like a total mess.
So it feels really good to be in a new space, organize all of our things, and start fresh!

Living area with our brand new couch and a big shout out to Atlanta on the wall.

View of the dining area from the couch.

And the most important place, in my opinion at least.
Check out those beautiful countertops!

Obviously I unpacked the important stuff first.

I'll have more pictures to share soon, as we begin piecing together our bedroom.

But for now, I'll leave you with the first meal I made in my new kitchen {and quite possibly the most simple recipe I'll ever share on here}.

Joe's traveling for work this week, so the next few days will be filled with simple lunches and dinners to tide me over until he's back and the serious meal planning can begin.

I realize Egg in a Basket is not the most exciting thing you can read about, but I swear you'd be surprised at just how many people don't know what it is.
And it's for you poor souls that I have decided to share the wealth.

Egg in a Basket has been one of my favorite go-to breakfast meals for as long as I can remember.
It's the best way to eat eggs and toast, if you ask me.


Things you'll need:

2 slices bread of your choice {I use Healthfull Oroweat Nutty Grain Bread at 80 cals per slice}
1 tbsp light butter
2 large eggs
salt and pepper, to taste
drizzle of Sriracha {optional}

Directions:

Cut a hole in the middle of both slices of bread.  I use a shot glass to cut my holes because I think it makes the hole just the right size.
Lightly butter both sides of bread. In the meantime, heat a skillet to medium heat and spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
Carefully place bread on skillet for a few seconds, just long enough to melt the butter. Flip bread and melt butter on opposite side.
Crack an egg in each hole, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cook for 3-5 minutes, until egg is just firm enough to flip with a spatula.
Flip, sprinkle with more salt and pepper, and cook until egg is the way you like it. I do mine for about two more minutes, until the egg is firm enough to move but still runny in the middle.
Drizzle with hot sauce of choice, and enjoy!

*Note: Feel free to trash this up a bit and sprinkle other things besides salt and pepper into your egg! I've tried shredded cheese and crushed red pepper flakes, and both have been delish.

With this particular recipe, you're looking at a tad bit over 300 calories {150 cals per slice}.
Not too shabby, if you ask me!

Did ya'll do anything fun this weekend?

I watched Django Unchained and absolutely loved it.
Now I get why it was nominated for so many awards during award season!

However, I did not get to properly celebrate Cinco de Mayo due to all of the moving.
So I'm refusing to acknowledge it has passed until I have at least one glass of sangria.
Fair?

No comments:

Post a Comment