Thursday, August 7, 2014

honey banana chocolate chip muffins

I really love working from home.

It's probably good I only get to do it once a week because otherwise I'd never change out of my pajamas.
Or brush my hair, if I'm really being honest.
#sorryimnotsorry

I've always been the type that needs background noise to be able to focus {I never studied in college without at least some music playing}, so there's just something about working while watching endless reruns of Grey's Anatomy that is just right up my alley.

Another part I love about it is the food.
Particularly the lunch possibilities.
When I don't have to waste half my lunch break driving home to pick something up, the sky is really the limit!

Yesterday, I was totally feeling some banana muffins.
Seriously, does it get better than making banana muffins on a random Wednesday afternoon on your lunch break?  Working from home is my jam.
With muffins in mind, I did a little research and decided I wanted to make some sweetened with honey.

I'm all about the honey these days.
Not going to lie, I've even started sweetening my smoothies with it.
Stevia still works fine, I've just found that I just prefer the taste of a drop a honey more.
{And speaking of smoothies, I have found the perfect smoothie blend and will be sharing that with you soon, promise - it's so good that I've had two every day this week!}

Anyway, back to the muffins.
If you're in the mood to make a batch of something delicious that will last, these are for you.
This recipe made 15 muffins, so I put half of them in the freezer {they'll keep for up to three months} and the other half I've been nibbling on and sharing with friends.
Everyone loves a good muffin!

recipe via
Things you'll need:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey
1 large egg
2/3 cup almond milk
3 tsbp vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients {flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt}.
Whisk together to combine.

Mash your bananas.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients {mashed banana, honey, egg, milk, and oil}.

Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients.
I added the dry mix in three or four batches to ensure it was all combined thoroughly.

Stir in as many chocolate chips as you like!

Lightly grease a muffin pan {or use cupcake liners like I did to make it super easy}, and fill each cup 2/3 of the way full.

Bake for 16-18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
My suggestion would be to do them a little less than 18 minutes so that they don't dry out {mine are delicious, just a little drier than I would prefer}.
The last couple I baked for 16 minutes and they were a little lighter in color, but definitely more moist!

Cool completely, and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container, or wrap and freeze for up to three months!

These little guys are perfect for a quick breakfast on your way out the door in the morning.
Or, in my case, a quick lunch on a day I had some extra time to bake!
Also, FYI, you do not miss the sugar in this recipe.
The honey does the perfect job of sweetening, and you'd never notice there wasn't white sugar if I didn't tell you.

Whew, it feels good to be in the kitchen again!
Lately I've been cooking a lot, but mostly:
1. repeat recipes that I've already shared;
2. things that are embarrassingly easy and didn't feel post-worthy {like a cucumber tomato salad I've been debating on telling you about for a month}, or;
3. simple sides to go along with grilled BBQ chicken.

I've been making Joe grill me BBQ drumsticks all summer, and I'm almost tempted to force him to guest post about them because oh my god.
He has pretty much mastered the chicken drumstick.
Every time I eat one I'm like hurry up and marry me so I can eat these the rest of my life!

...I wish that was an exaggeration.

Hope you're having a good week!
IT'S ALMOST FRIDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment