Friday, December 21, 2012

simple and delish guacamole

I have a recent obsession with avocado.

And if you know me at all, you know this is weird considering I've never really liked avocado.

I swear, as I've gotten older, my taste buds are continuously changing and my aversions to certain foods will just disappear.
Like, one day I'll wake up and think "I have got to have {fill in some random food I don't like here} today."

I am currently going through this same thing with brussel sprouts, which I have refused to eat for 25 years until yesterday when I decided I just have to make them for Christmas.
Because Christmas isn't Christmas without brussel sprouts?

I have no idea.

Anyway, this is basically what's happened with me and avocado, and this week I haven't been able to get enough.
So last night, since I didn't have to worry about making dinner for the boy, I decided to just make myself some guacamole and call it a night.

Who says guac can't be a main dish?

This guac is seriously so easy and delicious.
Over the last year it's been one of my go-to party apps, and not to toot my own horn or anything...
But toot toot.
There's never any leftover, so I'm taking that as a good sign!


Things you'll need:
3-4 avocados
1 medium tomato
1 lime
1/2 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup cilantro {I use about a cup because I love cilantro, so feel free to add more!}
1/4 tsp sea salt

Slice avocados in half and scoop all of the inside goodness into a bowl.

Dice one medium tomato and toss it in.

Add the juice of one lime.
Feel free to add more if you like yours extra lime-y.

Don't forget the garlic!
I am convinced that this is the secret weapon of the entire recipe.
Every time I make this at least one person mentions how they never would've thought to add garlic.
Lets be honest though...
Garlic makes everything better.

Add white {or yellow} onion and cilantro.
Clearly I went heavy on the cilantro.
I can't help it.
I'm in love.

Mix with a fork, coarsely mashing the avocado to your desired consistency.
Add 1/4 tsp of salt, and enjoy!
And whatever you do, do not mistake a tablespoon for a teaspoon.
I may or may not have done this once and completely ruined an entire batch.
Awful.

This is not only great as a dip, but also as a topping.
For example, I'm have a pita sandwich for lunch today with spinach and chicken, and this guac is going to fit in perfectly as a mayo substitute.
Can't.
Wait.

Lastly, I want to just take a second here and reiterate how much I love anniversaries.
I swear I won't mention it again after this.
Promise.

My sweet boy had flowers and a bear half the size of me delivered to my work, which was probably the most exciting thing to ever happen because:
1. I love surprises, and;
2. I love getting mail.

He knows me so well.


We celebrated with a nice dinner out, then dessert and champagne at home.
Perfect day.

Have a wonderful weekend, and travel safely if you're headed out of town for the holidays!
I'll be down in Peachtree City visiting the Destefanis and hanging out with my dad.
And maybe making some more boozy hot chocolate with a new creation I've discovered.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment