Tuesday, August 13, 2013

zucchini and rice soup

I've figured it out.

Exactly how to make yourself feel better when you're having a terrible, terrible day.

Number one, get a dog.
There is nothing that makes me forget my troubles quite as much as seeing how excited my dog is that I'm home.
I mean seriously, is there anything better than that?

Two, fill yourself up with comfort food.
My comfort foods of choice today: zucchini and rice soup, followed by caramel gelato straight out of the pint.
{Get ready people, the gelato recipe is coming and it's going to shock you it's so easy!}

This solution is, of course, an alternative to wine {because everyone knows wine and chocolate solve all problems}.

This soup is so surprisingly delicious.
I've made it twice in the last week, that's how good it is.
And if I'm making soup in the dead of summer, then you know it must be good because soups are usually reserved for cold, rainy days mid-fall or winter over in these parts.

J isn't the biggest fan of zucchini, which made me a little nervous when first making this.
But even he has jumped onboard the zucchini train.
We're eating it up over here.

recipe adapted via

Things you'll need:

2 lbs zucchini {about 5-6 medium, or 7-8 small}, sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2-3/4 cup white rice, uncooked
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil in a large, deep pot.
Saute onions until translucent and slightly golden brown.
Add sliced zucchini and chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
Cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 12 minutes, until zucchini is tender.

Using an immersion blender {I use this one}, puree zucchini and onion until smooth.
{If you don't have a hand blender, you can do this in a regular blender in batches.}
Add uncooked rice, and bring to a boil again.
Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and cooked thoroughly.

Add heavy cream, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.

Serve with slices of fresh baked French bread or your favorite grilled sandwich!

We seriously love this stuff.
It's so creamy and warming, and it doesn't taste overwhelmingly like zucchini.
Which I find strange, since zucchini is by far the ingredient used in the largest quantity.

I have been buying the take-and-bake French baguettes from Kroger, and we have found that these pair perfectly with this soup.
Once baked, they're crunchy on the outside and spongy enough in the middle to absorb the creamy goodness.
I definitely recommend them!

I don't think the pictures here really do it justice, so you'll just have to trust me.
If you're in the mood for something comforting but don't want to spare the calories or endure the guilt, this is the perfect compromise.
Then you can feel good about eating dessert!

Tomorrow, we talk gelato.

1 comment:

  1. I am a soup fanatic (even living in this hot surface of the sun that we call Orlando, FL)! And this looks amazing. It's a nice break from the ole chicken and noodle.

    We want a dog. But, our stuffy two cats might hate us for it... :)

    ReplyDelete