Friday, August 16, 2013

dulce de leche gelato

I intended to share this recipe on Wednesday, but somehow I was too busy to get to it.

And by "somehow," I mean I haven't been able to stop reading Gone Girl.
Every time I look at the clock, it's almost 1:00 AM and I'm asking myself how this happened again.
Don't you love that though?
When a book is so good you just get sucked into it?
If you haven't read Gone Girl, I recommend going to grab a copy right now.
The perfect weekend read!

And while you're at it, make this gelato to eat while you're reading.
Then you'll be exactly like me.

Because obviously that's what I've been doing.


Things you'll need:

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 16 oz. jar Dulce de Leche
{Feel free to make your own Dulce de Leche - I just happened to have a jar given to me that I was itching to use! Here are some ways to do it yourself, if you're interested!}

Over medium heat, bring milk and cream not quite to a boil - until there are bubbles around the edge of the saucepan, just before the boil.
Add vanilla extract.
Remove saucepan from heat, and whisk in Dulce de Leche until completely incorporated.

Transfer mix to a Tupperware container and refrigerate uncovered for an hour, stirring occasionally.
After the hour, cover the container and refrigerate for another 3-4 hours, until completely chilled.

When chilled, follow manufacturer's ice cream maker.
With my Cuisinart ice cream maker, it was ready after 30 minutes.
Transfer into freezer-safe containers {I use these!}, and freeze to desired consistency.

This was so great because it was incredibly simple to make.
I prepped the base in 20 minutes, went to the pool for a few hours while it chilled, and came home to have homemade gelato in 30 minutes!
My favorite part of this recipe is that there are no eggs, so you don't have to worry about accidentally making scrambled eggs in your hot base mix.

I take that back.
My favorite part is that there's only four ingredients.
That alone made it a no-brainer for me.

So get to churnin', friends.

What are you up to this weekend?
J and I are visiting his parents and taking it easy mostly.
I'll also be doing a little shopping, because {here's the big announcement} I'm starting a new job on Monday!
I'll give more details on it later, but I'll be working in the HR department and I couldn't be more excited!
That deserves a new outfit, right?

Happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Oh mah goodness- that looks yum. And YAY new job! You betta work!

    Ps... I nominated you for a Liebster award because I heart your blog. :)
    http://quirkycan.blogspot.com/2013/08/my-first-blog-award-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete