Tuesday, April 2, 2019

turkey taco bowls

Confession: I ate taco meat for dinner Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday last week.
All in different forms (a bowl, a tortilla, and a zucchini boat), but still.
That's a lot of tacos!

I am always looking for new ways to spice it up when it comes to tacos.
I have added vegetables to the mix, tried all the meats (traditional beef, ground turkey, chicken, steak, pork...), put it in casseroles/skillets/various shells, you name it.
Since we've been eating low carb, we've had a lot of the lettuce cup variety...and I mean, a lot.

Like, a lot.

A girl can only eat so many lettuce cups, ya'll.
So lately, I've just been throwing it all in a bowl and calling it a day.
It seems so simple, to just throw it all in a bowl.
I don't know why I didn't do this sooner - mostly because it gives me free reign to add as many toppings as I want without the mess! (Surprise - lettuce tacos aren't thaaat topping-friendly.)

I fully realize that I'm basically telling you to make a taco salad - what an epiphany - but bear with me.
Sometimes we all need a reminder that salads CAN give you the Mexican fix you are craving!


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 packet taco seasoning (or you can make your own - I like this one!)
  • 1 head of romaine lettuce
  • toppings of choice
Directions:
  1. Brown the ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat.
  2. When the turkey is cooked through, drain, add diced bell pepper and taco seasoning, and saute for 20-30 seconds.  Add some water (about a cup or so) and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
  3. While the meat is simmering, prepare your toppings. Here's what I like:
    • chopped lettuce
    • shredded cheese
    • this salsa
    • this avocado mash
    • If I wanted to get crazy, maybe a sprinkle of sauteed corn or black beans? Or some crunchy tortilla strips?
  4. When the meat is ready, layer up!  I do equal parts lettuce and meat, then sprinkle the rest on top at my own discretion.  Enjoy!
This is definitely a simple recipe, but for a quick weeknight dinner, you can't beat it.

I mean, unless you're eating real tacos in a flour tortilla.
Or nachos...

Okay, you can't beat it if you are watching your carb intake.  How about that?

This girl has been loving taco meat lately too.


💕💕💕

No comments:

Post a Comment