Tuesday, March 26, 2019

bacon-wrapped stuffed mini peppers

I said it in my last post, but in case you are wondering my status - SURPRISE! Still in a food rut!

We have been keto-ing for awhile (can I use that as a verb?), and while I've been feeling great, I am SO. TIRED. OF. CHICKEN.
At the beginning, I was all ambitious with our meals.  Super motivated, going all out, making all kinds of complex dinners.
Naturally, that tapered out #becauselife. Working, mothering, doing laundry, keeping life together in general - all of these things took over my motivation, and somewhere along the way we started having a protein + roasted veg every night.
And I mean every night.
A girl can only eat so much chicken, ya'll.

Help!
What are your favorite low carb meals? And/or snacks?
I am still on the workout train (love you Pure Barre Cumming 💓), but food-wise I need a major re-haul.

Full disclosure: I made waffles over the weekend, and I don't regret one bite of those.  Not one.
They were the Kodiak Cakes protein waffles (buttermilk flavor), and if you haven't had them, run don't walk to get them now!
They are so versatile! They're great plain but can easily be dressed up, which I love.
I added chocolate chips for Tuck's birthday breakfast, and Saturday morning we had them with strawberries and syrup!
The greatest part is that, depending on how you make them, they can have up to 21g of protein!

Also, can we talk about how great waffle makers are?  I honestly think that's my most-used wedding gift.

*steps off the waffle soap box*

By Sunday, I was ready to get back to the grind.
So, in an effort to pull myself out of this rut, I took a quick survey of all the groceries we had left in the house and decided to spend a little time making a fun snack.

You guys, these were delicious!
IMO, this would be even better with a jalapeno in place of the pepper (I love stuffed jalapenos so much), but we had a bag of mini sweet bell peppers on hand, so I went with it.


Ingredients:

  • 8-10 mini bell peppers
  • 4-5 strips of bacon
  • your favorite pimento cheese (feel free to make your own! I used Palmetto Cheese w/ Jalapenos to spice it up a little)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Wash and dry the mini peppers. Slice in half and clean out any seeds.
  3. Put a spoonful of pimento cheese in each pepper. Make sure to smooth it throughout the whole pepper half!
  4. Cut all of the bacon strips in half.  Wrap half a strip of bacon around each pepper.
  5. Put a baking rack on top of a sheet pan, and line the peppers up (seam down) on the rack.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes (or until bacon is at desired level of crispiness) and enjoy!
I sort of wish I brushed these with a smidge of BBQ sauce at the end and tossed them back into the oven to let it caramelize for a few minutes...

However, they were delicious as-is!
And just what I needed to spice up my currently boring dinner routine.
I served these as a side to BBQ chicken cutlets, but they would be great as a pre-dinner appetizer as well!

What fun snacks are you making these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment