Tuesday, October 30, 2012

creamy chicken noodle soup

Yesterday was a rough day, to say the least.
Work was the last place I wanted to be.
Wait, I take that back.
The grocery store was the last place I wanted to be.
After a long day of work, shopping is always my least favorite thing to do.
However, I was determined to make something healthy and warm to eat since cold weather is finally upon us.

Ya'll.

This soup is hands down one of the best soups I've ever made.
{*shout out to Tiff for recommending it}



Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
recipe adapted from {here}

Things you need:
1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 small-medium onion
3 celery stalks
2 medium-large carrots {or 7-8 baby carrots, which is what I had}
handful of mushroom {enough to make about a cup, diced}
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp dried thyme *optional
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp salt {I used sea salt}
2 cups shredded chicken
1 {12 oz} can evaporated milk - fat free/skim evaporated milk can be used here if you want
2 cups any kind of uncooked pasta you like

Grab a Dutch oven, or any large pot you have

  
Chop up your veggies the way you like them.
I did mine in a food processor/Slap Chop to make them really fine.
Joe doesn't like mushrooms or onions, so sometimes I like to be sneaky and chop them up real tiny.
Shhhh.

Sauté your chopped veggies with 1 tsp of olive oil until they're tender.
Mine took about five minutes on medium heat.

Add the flour, oregano, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
Stir and cook for about a minute.
{Note: The original recipe calls for dried thyme also, but I didn't have that on hand so it was omitted.}

Add chicken broth and salt, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

While the veggies and broth are simmering, prepare your chicken.
I was obviously too lazy to cook and shred my own chicken, so I cheated and bought a rotisserie chicken.
One of these days I'm going to master the art of rotisserie.
However, that day was not yesterday.

After the simmering is done, add the chicken, evaporated milk, and uncooked noodles.
Cook for another 10 minutes or so until noodles are soft.
Mine took about 12 minutes.

While soup is in it's final stages, give some love to your animal friends.
Mine was not happy I was giving more attention to a pot of soup than I was to him.
I think he forgave me when I let him lick the bowl though.

After 10-15 minutes, you will have a pot of warm, soupy good-ness that is ready to bring you back to life after a long, cold day.

Then it's time to eat a huge bowl {or two} and watch The Voice.

Seriously, guys, I recommend dropping whatever you're doing right now and making this immediately.
I do not think you will be disappointed!

Hope you're all staying warm {and safe} wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment