Thursday, June 6, 2013

let's talk lunch

Today we're talking lunch.

As much as I love dining out, I really hate wasting it on lunch.

Don't get me wrong.
I love the occasional weekday lunch date with Joe, or lunching on the weekend with friends.

But let's be honest.
As a woman that works at a desk all day, eating out for lunch everyday is just not realistic if I want to look decent in a bathing suit this summer.
Point blank.

So, lately I've been exploring my options and trying to come up with delicious things to eat that won't pack on the pounds right before beach season.

This week's experiment: chipotle chicken salad.

It had me at 'chiptole.'

recipe adapted via
Things you'll need:

For salad:

1 1/2 heads romaine lettuce
2 chicken breasts, diced and grilled
sea salt, chili powder, paprika, and cayenne {to taste, for seasoning chicken}
1 can sweet corn, no salt added, drained and rinsed
1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1 roma tomato, diced {or cherry tomatoes, cut in half}
1 avocado, diced

For dressing:

2/3 cup light sour cream
1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
2-4 chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce {the more you use, the spicier it'll be!}
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
juice of one small lime
1/4 tsp sea salt


Dice chicken and season with chili powder, paprika, sea salt, and cayenne.
Cook in a skillet for 5-8 minutes, until cooked thoroughly.
Combine chicken and salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Stir all dressing ingredients together {I did it all the container the sour cream came in - easy!}.
If you're serving immediately, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
I sealed the salad and the dressing in their own airtight containers so that I could take a portion for lunch the rest of the week.

So easy, right?!

And this dressing is so good, ya'll.
I really want to make burgers or tacos this weekend and slather them in it.
Don't be surprised if I do, just sayin.

If you're interested in the nutritional info {which I definitely am}, feel free to head over here and check it out.

249 calories for 2 1/2 cups of salad?
Are you serious?

Your welcome, bikini.

What have you been up to lately?
I feel like I've had barely any time to gather my thoughts and blog lately!

Not that I mind being busy.
Bring on the summer fun.


Last weekend I finally got the mojito I had been craving for the last three months.
About time!

Totally worth the wait.


My dear friend, Kayla, and her boyfriend kept me company while Joe was working and took me to my first Braves game of the season.
Now it officially feels like summer.


The Braves won {and I got excited about baseball for the first time ever, ha}, and afterwards there was a RUN DMC concert on the field!
We couldn't hear too well from our seats, but it was amazing seeing Turner Field in the dark!


These two continue to kill me with their cuteness.


I attempted my first salmon dish.
The sauce was on point and will be shared here in the coming future...
As soon as I can figure out how to properly make salmon without overcooking it to the point that it's impossible to take a photo of the inside without being embarrassed.

Baby steps, people.

image via

And finally, my friends and I decided to start our book club back up.
I am so excited about this, mostly because I am horrible at choosing what to read on my own.
This is our first book choice - opinions?
If anyone has read it, please share your thoughts with me!

Tonight, J and I are headed to The Fox Theater to hop in a time machine that will take us back to our high school days.

Also known as: we're going to see The Postal Service.

I'll be back soon to tell the tale of how Ben Gibbard and I became the best of friends...
Since obviously that is going to happen.

Obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment