Wednesday, March 27, 2013

honey soy chicken thighs

Hi strangers!

Sorry about the little lapse in posting there.
I've been dealing with a family emergency that has taken all of my attention for the last week.
Thankfully, things are slowly but surely getting handled, and I was able to come home and cook an actual homemade meal - first one in a week!

My body was thankful for that, also.

While I was away, I kept myself busy doing hundreds of crossword puzzles and researching new recipes to share here with you.

The first one I've chosen is some honey soy chicken, adapted from the honey tamarind chicken in the March issue of my new favorite magazine, Clean Eating.
If you haven't flipped through a Clean Eating mag before, you are totally missing out.
I found enough recipes for a whole month's worth of dinners!

And the best part is they're all super easy and don't contain any crazy ingredients that my live-in picky eater won't touch.

Jackpot.

heavily adapted from Clean Eating Magazine, March 2013 edition
Things you'll need:
5-8 chicken thighs {I used organic, vegetarian fed chicken thighs from Costco, 5 to a pack}
4 tsp soy sauce, divided
2 tbsp honey, divided
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tps freshly chopped ginger
1 tsp Sriracha

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together half of soy sauce, half of honey, sesame oil, and ginger.
{Original recipe called for tamarind, but of course my crappy Walmart doesn't carry it.}
This was my first time working with fresh ginger, and let me just tell you.
The smell is amazing.
I'll definitely be using that more often in my recipes from now on.
Mmm.

After trimming fat from the chicken thighs, add them to the bowl of marinade and toss to coat.
I only let them sit for about five minutes, but if you have the time it couldn't hurt to let them marinate for awhile in the fridge.
Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet {or lightly spray baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray}, and bake for 8-10 minutes, until cooked through.

With a fork, whisk together the remaining soy, honey, and Sriracha {optional}, and drizzle over chicken for a sweet and tangy sauce.
Be sure to taste test the sauce!
I just played around until I found the mixture I liked the best.

And that's literally it!
15 minutes and dinner is done.
Now you can't use the "I don't have time to cook" excuse.
Sorry.

According to MyFitnessPal:

Serving size: 1 chicken thigh
Cals/serving: 126
Carbs/serving: 4g
Fat/serving: 5g
Protein/serving: 21g

I served this with steamed organic broccoli florets, but I think it would also go well with quinoa and some stir fry veggies since it has a little Asian kick to it.
Opinions are always welcome on side dishes though!
Coming up with those are always a problem area for me.

Besides recipe searching and crosswords, I haven't been up to much.
Joe and I applied for a new apartment yesterday {and got approved - yay!}, so we are officially moving to Alpharetta on May 4th!
Exciting and bittersweet, all at once.
I'll miss Dunwoody...we have a lot of great memories there.
But with moving comes new furniture and decor, so I am pumped about that!

I also received my first Foodie Penpals package, and it is nothing short of awesome.
I'll be sharing what I got on April 1st, so stay tuned!

What have ya'll been up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment