Wednesday, February 27, 2013

cinnamon vanilla skinny granola

Let me preface this post with a quick note about this granola.
If you're looking for the kind of granola that is clumped together in balls held together with honey/other gooey sweeteners, this is not it.

This is more the sprinkle-on-your-yogurt-or-froyo-or-ice-cream-or-milkshake kinda granola.
Sweet, basic, low-fat, and baked just enough to give a good crunch to anything it's added to.

I also think it'd be great sprinkled on apple or banana slices with some almond butter, which is how I plan on enjoying it today.
Mmm snacks.

recipe adapted from Eat Yourself Skinny

Things you'll need:
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp water
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup chopped almonds
olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Mix water and brown sugar.
Microwave for 30 seconds {until sugar has dissolved}.
Stir in cinnamon, oil, and vanilla extract.

In a separate bowl, add rolled oats and chopped almonds.

Pour sugar mixture over oats/almonds.
Stir until well coated.

Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
Spread granola mix.
Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring at least twice.

If it's not as crunchy as you'd like when you take it out of the oven, don't fret!
Let it cool for about an hour and you'll find that it's slowly gotten crispier.
Don't make the mistake that I did by putting it back in the oven for 4 extra minutes, or it might taste a little burnt.

Store in an airtight container.

According to MyFitnessPal:

Serving size: 2 tablespoons
Cals/serving: 79
Fat/serving: 3g
Carbs/serving: 13g
Protein/serving: 2g

Next time, I'll be adding peanut butter {I'm thinking PB2!} to up the protein a bit, and definitely some dried fruit for a little extra sweetness.
Also, I'll probably try preheating the oven to 275 instead of 300 since my beast of an oven doesn't understand heat settings.

Until then, now I have an excuse to buy myself a pint of froyo.
Total win.

I'd have to say my favorite part of making this, though, was how it made my apartment smell.
It was unbelievable.
If I ever get around to finally making my own candles, the first one I'm making will be brown sugar scented.
You heard it here first.

How's everyone's week going?

I'm still tired from the Oscars...and it's Wednesday.
When did I get so old?!
#25yearoldprobs

Oh and before I forget, come visit my new Facebook page for the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment