Friday, November 30, 2012

southwestern taco dip

I have been really bad this week.

Joe has been out of town, which in turn has led me to be extremely lazy when it comes to the simplest of tasks.
Namely, grocery shopping or making myself any kind of meal.
Enter Ramen noodles and Honey Bunches of Oats.

Thankfully, I have a few things I've made in past weeks on reserve for occasions like this.
And in the spirit of the SEC Championship this weekend {GO DAWGS!}, I've decided it's time to share one of our favorite tailgate dips.

Warning: if you're looking for a healthy tailgate recipe, this is not it.

I do love making tailgate foods that incorporate healthy things, particularly fruit.



Sangria counts as a fruit concoction, right?

Anyway, this dip isn't the healthiest thing, but it is definitely one of Joe's favorites and it always makes an appearance at least twice during the football season.
Mostly because:
1. It makes a lot {half a crockpot!}
2. It's made in the crockpot, so it's super easy and it's one less thing I have to worry about when I'm cooking for a crowd

*Note: I do not have a picture of the finished product.  My apologies for being a moron and eating half the dip before it even crossed my mind I needed a photo.

Things you'll need:
31 oz. can refried beans
10 oz. can Rotel {or diced tomatoes w/ green chiles}
1 lb. block of Velveeta cheese
1 medium onion
1 packet taco seasoning {I like to buy the spicy kind for a little extra kick}
1 lb ground beef

Mix refried beans and Rotel in your crockpot.

Brown one pound of ground beef in a skillet on medium heat.

While beef is browning, cut your block of Velveeta into cubes and toss them into the crockpot with the bean/Rotel mixture.
Don't worry about your cubes looking pretty - they're all going to melt anyway!

Add ground beef and taco seasoning to crockpot, and stir until everything is incorporated.
{Sorry about the horrible shadow on this picture! Yikes.}

Toss in a diced onion, cover, and cook on low heat for 1.5 to 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so to incorporate the cheese better.

Et voila!
Serve with tortilla chips and your favorite tailgate cocktail.
This may not look pretty, but it is delicious.
And that's what matters most around these parts.

You wouldn't know it from the recipes I've shared so far, but I have a mild obsession with crockpots.
I do own seven of them.

That's a story for another day, though.

Also, I realize it's Friday, which means it's time for some weekly favorites.
So keep an eye out because you just might be getting two posts out of me today.

Happy tailgating!

No comments:

Post a Comment